YouTube Unveils Fan Funding Feature

YouTube Unveils Fan Funding Feature

By Sophie Curtis for The Telegraph

Makers of YouTube videos will soon be able to solicit money from fans in order to support their channels.

The new ‘fan funding’ feature is part of a raft of updates announced at the VidCon conference in Anaheim, which will be rolling out in the coming months.

“Your fans aren’t just watching your videos, they’re also helping support your channel through services like KickStarter, IndieGogo, Patreon and more,” YouTube execs Matthew Glotzbach and Oliver Heckmann said in a blog post.

“We’ll be adding another option for you, where fans will be able to contribute money to support your channel at any time, for any reason.”

A handful of creators will soon begin testing the feature, including Dulce Delight, Fitness Blender, The Healthcare Triage, The King of Random, Soul Pancake, Steve Spangler Science, The Young Turks, and Thug Notes.

Fans will also be able to submit their own translations in any language, based on the subtitles or captions provided by the creator.

The company also launched an Android app called YouTube Creator Studio, which allows video creators to manage videos on the go. An iOS version will be available in coming weeks and YouTube is also planning a version for desktop.

Meanwhile, gamers will soon be able to benefit from support for 48 and 60 frames per second in the coming months, meaning clips uploaded to YouTube will look as good as they do in the game.

Other new features include an audio Library of sound effects, text-based credits for collaborators and interactive information cards.

YouTube has also tamed up with SiriusXM to launch “The YouTube 15,” a weekly show on SiriusXM’s Hits 1 hosted by Jenna Marbles and featuring the biggest names and rising stars in music from YouTube.

The news comes after YouTube started removing music videos from record labels that will not sign up to its subscription music service earlier this month.

Reports of a YouTube subscription music service have been circulating since early 2013, with Billboard reporting last October that users will be able to choose between watching music videos for free with ads, or paying around $10 a month to watch them without ads.

Both the free and paid versions will allow unlimited access to the music on YouTube, according to Billboard, but the premium service could also include the ability to stream full albums and cache music for offline listening.

While around 90 per cent of the music industry has signed up to the new licensing terms, the remaining 10 per cent are refusing to play ball, and will therefore be blocked from the platform.

This is an excerpt. Click here to read the full article in The Telegraph.